Monday, October 20, 2008

Your Own, Sylvia: A verse portrait of Sylvia Plath, Stephanie Hemphill





This book is written in a completely original and interesting way. The book is a fictionalized biography (based on Plath's own writing and other nonfiction sources) of Sylvia Plath that chronicles the artist's life from childhood through her death. The poems are written about milestones in Plath's life, by people who would have been directly involved in that milestone, from teachers to friends to her husband.

I like that the book is based on true events and people, and I found the poems to be very well written and evocative of Plath's own voice and style.

I would like to share one of my favorite pieces from the anthology, a poem written by her brother between 1942-3, that reflects on his first memories of Sylvia writing:


Selfish
Warren Plath, Sylvia's brother 1942-1943
Mommy gave Sylvia
a blue cloth book
without words
where Sylvia puts words
each day.

I ask her what stories
are in there,
but Sivvy shakes her head,
locks the book under her bed,
says that the words are hers,
that the stories are her thoughts
that the book is called a journal.

I tell Sivvy that I want one too.
I have lots to say.
She says, “No, you don't.
You're too little to say anything
important.”

Mean, mean, mean,
I think under my breath.

No comments: